Sunday, April 04, 2010

Busted for peeing on a run

The next time you feel the urge to go pee while out on a run, keep this story in mind. It's from a poster on the Letsrun.com bulletin board:

I don't know what to do, this is awful.

I am a 35 year old man with a good job, wife and kids. I volunteer with about 8 local charities and consider myself a pretty decent person.

Last night at like 6:30 pm, I was about half way through a 10 miler and I had to go to the bathroom (#1). I was nowhere near a bathroom, but on a local paved trail that meanders through forest, neighborhoods, etc.

I was at a very secluded part of the trail, no one anywhere in sight. It was dark. I would say the closest house or street was at least 800 meters away. So I stop, step off the trail and begin to pee into the bushes.

Suddenly, a cop on a bike rounds the corner and literally treats me like I am trying to run from him after robbing a bank. He make me put my hands behind my back, get down on my knees and everything. I thought he was going to cuff me.

I tried to explain that I was just on a run, but he wouldn't listen.

Anyway, I got a fat PI ticket and I have to go to court. Is this something that is going to haunt me? My wife laughed at me, but I think it could end up being serious.

Yes, I finished my run with the ticket in my key pocket.



Bike cop with too much time on his hands? Ridiculous, to say the least. Anyway, just this week, the poster reported back with somewhat good news:
Well, I am happy to report that while I do have a misdemeanor offense and will have to do some community service, I was not charged with a sex crime.

The judge seemed to understand the situation. I ended up hiring a lawyer due to the severity of the charges, and I do not know if it was needed in retrospect. Better safe than sorry though, so it was well worth it in my opinion.

The cop showed up and was visibly upset with the decision to not charge me with something more substantial.


No comments: